Five Steps to Successful Adoption of Measurement Technology
Many marketers struggle with successful adoption of advanced measurement technology. According to eMarketer, almost half of marketers were using multi-touch attribution in 2018 while MTA was simultaneously flagged as one of the biggest gaps in marketing research. Data holes, cross-platform QA, and complex methodologies all contribute to the problem. However, the greatest driver of failed technology adoption is that most organizations do not sufficiently plan for how they will actually activate using the tools.
Measurement tools are valuable not for the new data they provide, but for the strategies and tactics they enable. Unfortunately, marketers (consciously or not) expect their technology partners to drive this effort while those partners generally provide minimal services support as part of their engagements. As a result, tool capabilities are reduced to one-off analyses and QBRs, and organizational change is rarely realized.
In order to support successful adoption of marketing technology, teams need to do the following:
- Identify and empower a strong internal leader who can drive adoption and strategic change
- Support this leader with sufficient analytical resources, whether internal or through a third-party partner
- Build alignment on tool purpose and methodology for QA, ideally before data is even available
- Develop a detailed plan for rapidly executing against new tool insights, preventing analysis paralysis
- Establish an approach for tracking tests and optimizations executed with the tool, and measuring the incremental return
Building an internal team to drive these initiatives, or pushing your technology partners to live up to service expectations, is crucial to driving successful adoption of marketing measurement technology. If you do not know where to begin in this process, we can help. Ovative is intentionally focused on helping our clients figure out the best ways to leverage their measurement technology, whether that be our Marketing Analytics Platform or an alternative advanced measurement tool.
Ovative is a digital-first media and measurement firm seeking to transform the measure of marketing success. At Ovative, we help brands move the needle. We are curious. We value your brand. We want to see you succeed. Connect with us to learn more!